Monday 2 September 2013

Six Degrees South

Hello!!

So much has happened since I last had the time to update you all on my epic adventure. I finished off my last couple of days at the orphanage which were lovely because I was settled and content! I had learned all the appropriate responses to their questions in swahili! Not that there were many but it pleased them that I had taken time to try and communicate a little. It was sad to leave though and most of the younger children just kept saying that they would see the next day. I guess it made it a little easier to say goodbye to them as it was all smiles and giggles! Some of the older children were harder to say goodbye to and were asking if they'd ever see me again! It's hard because I don't want to promise that I will incase I don't return but at the same time I don't want to say no as I would like to go back at some point. So I find it difficult to get the balance between realistic expectation and false hope. Anyhow, after the goodbyes they presented me with a certificate to say thank you! It's really lovely and I'm grateful to have it.

Then I was dropped off at Arusha Airport which is pretty cool. It's all outside and you are pretty much sitting on the runway! However my flight was delayed 4 hours which wasn't much fun as it detracted from beach time in Zanzibar! I was quite happily amused though watching the 'lack of security' and lots of people watching passed the time really quickly. So we were soon on route to the tropical island of Zanzibar! I arrived later than expected but thankfully still connected with my hotel driver. So I arrived and went for a really early night as I was just exhausted from the final few days with the children.

Throughout my time on Zanzibar I just relaxed and got chatting with some of the staff and guests. I was able to have some time reading whilst the sun was rising on the beach most days which was really cool. I had the opportunity to go snorkelling which was incredible! Also had the chance to chat about my faith with some of the staff members who knew very little about Christianity. So I got to ask lots of questions about their religion and their practices and they got to ask me the same. So it was really interesting and definitely encouraged by their enthusiasm about it all. Then I moved to the other side of the island and went snorkelling again, figured out that you're not meant to swim lower than the length of your 'pipe' as that results in almost drowning! Also tried out my camera underwater which was cool. Although I think the guide definitely got more fun out of it than I did! But that's okay. I got to hold a tortoise my age too. And just touched one that was 189 years old. Definitely could not have rolled it over! never mind held it! Went on a interesting spice tour and also a tour of the town. At one point he began to tell a story about the 'sheeps' coming to bomb one the famous buildings near the shore. I was very confused but relatively impressed they blew something up with sheep! Turns out he was saying 'ships'. Definitely should have picked that up quicker!! But it was a good laugh when we both realised. So it was a wonderful budget break with lots of sunshine.

Then I took a 2 hour ferry to Dar Es Salaam where I've been staying with friends who are missionaries from my church in Edinburgh. We had a chilled weekend and I got to see their church, which was all in Swahili but still good to see and understand more of their normal routine. And just how they live life here. This week they are involved in a conference which I've been able to attend and have understood so much more of what they do after this morning! So it's been good to get to know them and ask lots of questions about life in another country!

Tomorrow I fly out to Istanbul in the middle of the night. I've got a day there before my final flight home to Dublin early on Thursday morning! I will then, at some point within the next few weeks, try to give a summary of my trip after having a little time to digest a little of whats happened! Although I think I'll still be considering some of the questions raised in about ten years time too! I'll also try to go back through my blogs and insert the photos I was hoping to along the way when I have better internet access. Or do a blog of photos or something! I'll think about that one when I get back. So next time you hear from me it will most likely be in person! That's exciting I hear you say! I know...I'm looking forward to it too!

So prayer for my final leg of travelling and just safety and protection for that. And just for time with family when I do arrive home that I wouldn't be too busy with uni prep and have time to actually see them! And friend too!

Sarah




1 comment: